Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, October 3, 2014

5 for Friday {October}

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]




Happy Fall Y’all!  I can’t believe it is October already! We’ve had another busy week in first grade.



1. We focused on understanding characters in reading this week. The kids worked on these reading responses to better understand the character in our story.








2. We focused on doubles and doubles plus one in math this week. Have you listened to this amazingly fun doubles rap:




Doubles, doubles, I can add doubles! It stays in my head all day. I hope it stays in my kid’s heads all week.

3. In science we finished up our space unit and are starting on Earth’s resources. I plan to use this resource along with my science fusion curriculum. I know the kids’ are going to “dig” this science unit!




4. In other news we started collected even more data for meeting each week. We are progress monitoring on the comprehension strategy and math skill taught for each week. We have mini assessments each week that are 4/5 questions long. This doesn’t include our other weekly tests. Do you ever feel like your school might be testing too much? I know it is all to get more information to drive our instruction and prepare them for the end of the year exams. It feels like a bit much for six year olds though.


I saw this on Pinterest and laughed. It made me think of the data meetings we have each week.


5. It was picture day this week! Gotta love taking those cheesy individual pictures that show up on your name tag. The kids are always super excited about picture day. There is just something about being slightly off schedule that sets them into a frenzy.




Look how cute my star of the week wall turned out! J I love how it highlights our star of the week and shows the character trait on the month that they portrayed. My students and parent volunteers love to see the display. Well I'm off to have a fabulous weekend. Here is how it is starting.





4 comments:

  1. I love that pin! I know what you mean about testing. I'm not ANTI-testing, but sometimes it feels like there isn't enough time to actually teach. Your reading notebooks are great.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I'm not anti testing either but it does seem like too much! Thanks for stopping by and reading! :)

      Delete
  2. I live your "Caught with Character" wall. So cute!! Mr. Harry is the best! I'm goubg be singing -doubles doubles I can add doubles- all weekend!! Enjoy your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete